Sunday, April 11, 2010
Health and PE attendance policy at SRU
A currently pressing issue to me is the requirement to attend class in the Health and PE major and getting graded for it. I was under the impression that one is assessed on retention of subject matter, not sitting in class. If student's skip class, then they will suffer by not being presented the material that is handed out and discussed that day. This way the grade suffers because they do poorly on a test because they were absent and did not learn the material. Now, if one misses class and meets with the teacher to discuss the reasoning and gain that material, I believe this is excuseable. Today I suffered another concussion and cannot even conceive paying attention for an entire class, especially since I am not permitted to sleep or take pain medication yet. However, I still have to go so I do not lose points.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
In your case, there is no way I could see justifying losing points because of a missed day due to injury. There has to be a line drawn somewhere and to my knowledge, most of the staff here would agree that there are circumstances that warrant an excused absence. I also believe that going to class is an easy way to ensure a student a good grade for a class, something I learned the hard way. But when it comes down to it, I do not believe that a student's grade should be dependent on their ability to come to class. The class is payed for by the student and if that student does not want to come, then that is their decision. If it results in a bad grade, then the student has lost money, not SRU.
ReplyDeleteI agree that taking attendance for points is ridiculous. I mean, if a student wants to skip classes all the time, so what. It is their money that is going down the drain; the professors still get paid. Why do they care if a student passes or not. I do think that professor should take attendance and maybe award the students who never missed a class a bonus at the end of the semester; but should never take off points for missing a class. I think professors should leave it up to the student's parents to tell them what to do and what not to do when it comes to going to class.
ReplyDeleteOn one hand, I can see why attendance policies are strict. Our professors are trying to prepare us for professionalism and I guess trying to reinforce that as future teachers, we can't miss class very often (especially if it's unexcused). On the other hand, I totally agree and think it's wrong to be docked points for an absence (especially if it is excused) since we are paying for our education. I think it's crazy if you would miss points because of an absence due to a concussion or any other injury/illness.
ReplyDelete