Monday, April 12, 2010

Health and PE an "easy major"?

When someone asks you what your major is, do they laugh when they hear Health and PE? I have a 3.9 QPA, and it is always attributed by my peers to my major being "easy." Is creating a 10-lesson Unit plan that is 135 pages long easy? Is traveling to high schools to teach lessons on HIV/AIDS to seniors in high school a routine thing to do? Maybe we are not required to solve complex mathematical equations or breakdown how a molecule creates and uses energy, but it could be stated that the learned art of instructing is an equally as difficult a skill. I've had friends that could pass Calculus 3, but the idea of standing in front of 30 children sends a shiver down their spine. When thinking about if Health and PE as a major, consider all that it encompasses. This major is certainly no walk in the park!

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! My roommates and other people always comment on how easy this major is and how they wish they were Health and Physical Education majors. However, they were just looking over what we had to do for this E-folio, and I think those comments will be no more. Our major is definitely a lot of hard work, and it is difficult teaching kids! I just think people need to give this major more credit because we do just as much work as other students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. When someone asks what I am studying for and I say a bowling test for life and leisure or a test on baseball for striking and fielding. People just laugh and their like o your really studying for that. But like our major is really hard. The first time I had to teach in front of a class, it was my peers, but I was terrified. It has gotten easier, but I don't think the people who think are major is easy could actually do that. Writing lesson plans takes forever, especially the ones in 352. And making Efolios. On top of the Portfolios we have to make too. I do not think the people who think our major is easy, could last a semester in it. Right it is fun, because that is what we enjoy, hence the reason we picked the major. But if they think it is so easy and fun and their jealous we have tests on bowling and baseball. Well looks like we are the SMARTER ones for picking the "easy" major then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. My roommate is an art major and our majors often are compared to each other. "O you guys are Art and Phys. Ed. majors no wonder you are doing well in school." It is almost hurtful to hear that. I work so hard at our major. I would say that this semester I worked harder at school that ever before. I have earned a 3.8 or above the past two semesters and this one will be no different for me. I completely agree with you that people believe that I simply waltz through this major because it is so easy. However, I think it is difficult. I struggle on health tests that sound like they should be common sense, or unit plans that seem so easy. I would never call my major " a walk in the park", and I'm proud of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree people think Phys Ed majors have it easier. And people think that if your a phys Ed major your not really a good student you just want to take the easy way out and I really hate when people think down to it. I have only taken a few classes so far within the major but I have a had equal if not more work then I had when I was a business major. So it is really rediculous for people to say it is easy. I would really like to see them take the classes I have taken and have to take in the future and we will see whats easy and whats not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen. It would turn out that we work just as hard as some of these people who are in "harder majors." I'm happy to see you were able to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Physical Education is an easy major if you enjoy the coursework. Many of the classes are mostly participation and they are fun. The "hard classes" are really not that bad if you take the time to write out lesson plans. I love spending my day playing games, teaching lessons, and learning how to live healthier. Any other major would seem like torture compared to PE. Choosing to major in PE was the best decision of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you completely. I always hear people saying how PE is an easy major and how we don't have to do much work when they couldn't be more misinformed. Throughout our time here we take a wide range of health and PE courses that you must work very hard in in order to earn a good grade. We work just as hard as other students in various majors here at SRU and deserve credit for it. People often think we just play games in class but this is not the case at all.

    ReplyDelete