Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sru Men's Soccer- Funding

Economic times are truly tough at SRU. On Tuesday, our team traveled to play the Pittsburgh Riverhounds at Deer Lakes High School, which is about an hour away. However, we were denied a bus, and even vans becasue of the expense. Therefore, the players themselves had to drive to the game, hoping for reimbursement for expense from our fundraising account, not from the University for which we won the PSAC this year and have finished in the top 20 in the country 2 years in a row. Frustrating, as we see teams we are competing against who are private and state schools alike, with larger budgets and funding.

3 comments:

  1. I find this completely ridiculous. The way I see it if you excel in your division or league you should get a little more funding. I'm not saying it like a reward, but it almost is. Your team works very hard and excels there should be funding available for reimbursement and even transportation. I was very set back that the players actually had to drive themselves. I would of been so mad. Keep your head high and keep trying I guess..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty bad they didn't supply you guys with not even vans. I know other sport teams are having the same frustrations with the money issue. It seems like this year the university cut down big time on expenses especially the intercollegiate teams. I hear many different players from different teams complain about the whole money thing. I guess just doing what you're doing and hopefully the issue will get better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I wouldn't complain to much. The Rugby Teams get nothing. We just went to D.C. and we had to drive ourselves. Talk about awful 5 girls packed into a dodge neon for a 5 hour trip. Last year when we went to Florida we pretty much paid for our whole trip by fundraising. We're ranked 4th in the nation you think we would get at least something.

    ReplyDelete